[Breaking Down OLED TV] Details of OLED Panel Exposed [Part 6]
The Nikkei Electronics Breakdown Team successfully separated the display unit of XEL-1, Sony Corp's OLED TV, from the tuner block.
We removed the metal plate and bezels on the front side and observed the OLED panel in detail.
First, we took off the metal plate connected with the arm. There were seven heat radiation sheets arranged in a line. After removing the sheet one by one, we found an OLED panel driver IC beneath them. Sony seemed to have taken measures against heat by making the sheets come in contact with the plate because the driver IC of the OLED panel may reach high temperatures due to heat generation.
Then, we removed the bezels on the front side and held the OLED panel in our hands. The panel may have a low rigidity because it does not have any components, eg backlight, unlike an LCD panel. But when we examined the panel, it was more rigid than we had expected.
We removed the FPC on one side of the circuit board and found another metal plate under it. While the thinnest portion on the upper side of the panel is composed of as few components as possible, such as the glass substrates, bezels and FPCs, the lower part of the panel has metal plates and a circuit board, probably to enhance strength.
We finished disassembling the display unit. Next, we will tackle the lower part of the TV. ...
OLED TV Breakdown Part1 (4:16)
You need Windows Media Player to play the movie.
Click the play button to watch the video.
Powered by BPtv
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] We Got Sony's OLED TV [Part 1]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] We Found Another Box [Part 2]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] We Watched Digital Terrestrial Broadcast [Part 3]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] Sony's Commitment in the Instruction Manual [Part 4]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] Drive Circuit Layout Realizes 3mm Thickness [Part 5]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] Lump of Cu Found in TV Mount [Part 7]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] 'Black Stones' on Main Board [Part 8]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] Close Look at Ethernet Connector [Part 9]
- [Breaking Down OLED TV] High Full On/Off Contrast Ratio [Part 10]