Survey: 29% of Japanese Consider Switching Carriers to Use iPhone

Jul 4, 2008
Mami Akasaka, Tech-On!
Consumer intention to purchase the iPhone
Consumer intention to purchase the iPhone
[Click to enlarge image]

Kakaku.com Inc, which runs the "Kakaku.com" price comparison portal for home appliances and other items, carried out a survey on Apple Inc's "iPhone" mobile phone to be shortly launched in Japan July 11, 2008.

The survey was conducted on the Kakaku.com portal from June 19 to 25, 2008, and received 7,963 responses. Male respondents accounted for about 90% of the total 7,963 respondents.

The survey results showed that the intention of buying the iPhone is strong among the respondents: Those who answered "I have already pre-ordered one," "I will definitely purchase one," "I intend to purchase one" or "I am considering purchasing one" accounted for 50.9% of all respondents, Kakaku.com said.

The iPhone will be released by SoftBank Mobile Corp. According to the survey results, many users are considering purchasing the iPhone, even if they are currently using handsets other than SoftBank's.

Of the respondents who answered "I have already pre-ordered one," "I will definitely purchase one," "I intend to purchase one" or "I am considering purchasing one," SoftBank subscribers constituted 70.2%, while subscribers of other carriers accounted for 45.8%.

Of the subscribers to the other carriers who are considering purchasing the iPhone, 63.5% said they want to cancel their current subscriptions and switch to the iPhone, and the remaining 36.5% said they want to purchase the iPhone in addition to their current handsets.

As a result, about 29% of the other carriers' subscribers are apparently considering switching carriers to buy the iPhone.

As for reasons why they want the iPhone (a question asked to those who said "I have already pre-ordered one," "I will definitely purchase one," "I intend to purchase one" or "I am considering purchasing one"), 63.4% said "Because its functions seem interesting," followed by "Because its design is superior" (38.9%), "Because its interface seems easy to use" (38.3%) and "Because I like Apple's products" (26.7%).